Friday, March 24, 2017
JFK teachers continue to work with Ali Brown from 2Revolutions to transition to Project Based Learning. During our full day of in-service on March 6th, each grade level planned the Project Based Learning Unit they will teach by the end of this school year. Many of our classes have started their projects already!
- Kindergarten: Students will create a how-to book to support new members of our school community and answer the question of “How can we make a strong school community?”
- 1st Grade: Use of nonfiction features and how authors of nonfiction organize their books to teach the reader
- 2nd Grade: Students will pick a series to read to become experts and add-on to the story, change or adapt a plot twist, develop characters more, etc.
- 3rd Grade: Students will create learning activities to teach next year’s’ third grade about what they learned about fractions
- 4th Grade: Students will study one chosen historical time period, read a choice of historical fiction book independently, and examine setting, timeline, characters’ perspectives, thoughts, and decisions, to begin to understand how people in history lived differently than today and faced different challenges.
- 5th Grade ELA/Art: Students will identify a social issue that is important to them in their lives and community, research and design a project to share the issue, identify cause and effects as well as ways to impact and create change and/or awareness in the issues.
- 5th Grade Math: Students will identify social issue that are important to them in their lives and community, research and design a project to share the issue, identify cause and effects as well as ways to impact and create change and/or awareness in the issues.
All report cards should have gone home by this past Wednesday, the 22nd. If you have not received your student(s) report card, please contact your student’s teacher directly.
Today is the Fun Fair! We hope to see everyone at school. The event starts at 4:30 and ends at 6:30.
Here are some important dates coming up:
- Community Reads Friday, March 31st
- Scholastic Book Fair April 3rd – 7th
Have a wonderful weekend.